Monday, April 25, 2016

Ramayana: The Game of Life - Shattered Dreams


Book: Ramayana: The Game of Life - Shattered Dreams 
Author: Shubha Vilas
First Published: 2015 by Jaico Books
No. of Pages: 387
Genre: Mythology

Hmmm…

Usually when I write a book review, I always have a notion in my head that acts as a guiding light or a strong motivating factor that helps me paint the review canvas. It could be a thought from the author that really made an impression on me, or my personal feelings as I traversed the course of the story. However, this book has left me with a vague sense of irritation that perhaps something’s missing…

The copy of Ramayana: The Game of Life - Shattered Dreams given to me by Blogadda
I received Ramayana: The Game of Life – Shattered Dreams as a freebie to review. Needless to say, I was ecstatic and wondered what a great addition it would make to my book shelf. I opened the package and took my first good look at the cover. 

The first thing that jumped out at me were the words "Game of Life" instantly reminding me of the font of Game of Thrones. (Now, I am not saying Martin holds monopoly over the usage of this font. This is just my personal observation.) 

The second thing I noticed was the lovely body of a sleeping Rama. Rama on the cover page manages to look both agitated (symbolic of what is to come) and beautiful at the same time. I loved the use of bold background colours which add to the godliness of the sleeping divine basking in golden glow. 

Then my eyes fell on what appeared to be a badly photoshopped example of a chariot run by horses (though they look more like donkeys to me). Riding this chariot is a demoness (actually, she is Keikeyi, the woman and co-wife who saved her husband Dasratha from the demon Sambarasura) along with a man wearing a black kurta, jewels, scared expressions, and a garland fashioned from marigolds. This is Dasratha I suppose, the mighty king who fails to look like a king.

Then I opened the book with many expectations. I read the acknowledgement followed by the author’s note which exuded calmness. Though I was slightly miffed by the conjoined words, I let it slide thinking, “Printing errors such as these happen maybe, and it’s just one time.” From his writing style I could make out that this person would be someone who speaks after careful consideration and is well-articulated. I turned to the last page and felt instantly validated to know that the author is a motivational speaker.

Then I finally began to read the book. The story begins with Dasratha (the man whose chariot could move in ten directions!) having nightmares of an impending doom. He wakes up and takes the decision of crowning his eldest son Rama as the new King of Ayodhya. And so begins the saga we all know and have practically grown up listening to.

So what was new about this book, and why should anyone read it?

I would say the answer lies in the concept of the book. I like how the author has made use of a genius work such as Valmiki muni’s Ramayana and told the people that it does have real world applications, and the philosophy, actions, decisions, and mantras of those years can be applied today, especially in a world like ours!

What I liked about the book?

·        To me, the footnotes and pearls of wisdom dropped here and there in the pages were the essence, and made Ramayana: The Game of Life - Shattered Dreams (sequel to Ramayana: The Game of Life – Rise of the Sun Prince) a worthwhile read. The footnotes served to explain Sanskrit terminology and further elucidate concepts. These I found to be very nice and helpful.

·        I loved the Trijata story where Rama tests Trijata muni before giving him so much property. It shows that things when achieved through hard work feel rightfully earned. By this charitable action Rama was able to give without making another feel obliged. And that in my opinion is a splendid deed. 

·        I absolutely loved the part about ‘True Communication’. It’s the part where Rama puts a garland around Sita’s neck and Sita in return weaves an imaginary garland around Rama’s neck by moving her beautiful eyes. It was incredibly romantic and speaks volumes about the silent communication between a husband and wife.

·        Another noteworthy thing is the character of Bharat which is amazing. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he is actually my favourite! What’s not to like? He is an action man. The guy who thinks critically, and this is evident from the way he passes with flying colours all these mission tests to determine his ability and potential as the next best thing in town, i.e. the formidable ruler of Ayodhya in place of Rama.

Here are the tests he is subjected to:

·        The test of 'Confronting Criticism' (by Queen Kaushalya)
·        The test of 'Confronting Subconscious Desires' (by Vasistha, the spiritual guru of the entire Ikshvaku Dynasty.
·        The test of 'Confronting Confusing Choices' (by Vasistha)
·        The test of 'Confronting Blame and Praise' (by Guha, King of the Nishada tribe)
·        The test of 'Confronting Accountability' (by Bharadwaja Muni, the expert seer of past, present, and future) 
·        The test of 'Confronting Irresistible Temptations' (by Bharadwaja Muni)

Here are a few things that bothered me:

·        I didn't get the Bollywood like dialogues. In a book that spans mere 387 pages, you can’t show too much of drama without validating the same with proof. Had I not been aware of the Ramayana story, I’d be like “Why are these Ayodhya people crazy about Rama and Sita? What has this couple done for the people besides looking radiantly divine?"

·        I don’t get the horrible grammar! This is just not acceptable. While the author seems to have had clear thoughts put in sentences that feel weirdly constructed at times, the editing is just plain bad! When I read a book I do not like to see words strung together like Siamese twins. Had there been a couple of errors, I would not have even bothered bringing this up. But trust me, there are just far too many for a book published at this level.

·        Easy to please Shiv and Brahma keep on granting wishes all the time (more to Ravana and his son actually!) and if Ravana didn't have to play any role in this particular part of the story why was he even mentioned. It would have been better to either omit him entirely in this part, or to extend the story of this part to the point where he makes some dramatic entry so that we as readers are filled with anticipation for what’s to come.

·        I didn't particularly like the portrayal of Sita in the second half of the book. The Sita I have in mind, the one who has been etched perhaps in all of our minds is this steadfast, sincere, and regal woman radiating a goddess like aura. That divine lady does not gel with this “I am too happy frolicking in the hills” silly princess. She feels absolutely unreal to me.

·        Lakshman is making Rama and Sita’s bed, he’s preparing their seats (decorating with the seasonal flowers no less!), constructing their house wherever the trio goes, fetching them fruits, he is collecting logs and paraphernalia for conducting prayers, and he is in fact NOT SLEEPING! (Lakshman tells the goddess of sleep Nidradevi to go and give his fair share of sleep to his wife Urmila, just so he could watch over and protect his beloved brother and sister in law while they slept.) And I don’t get this slavish behaviour because all Rama and Sita seem to be doing during this exile time are watching sunrise and sunset, visiting munis, resting under the trees, or laughing at mating geese! (The exile seems more like a picnic here to me.)

Here’s what Kaushalya has to say about Sita, “At least Rama is a rugged warrior and Vishwamitra has trained him well about the vagaries of forest life, but Sita is a delicate flower. She has not experienced hardship. I made sure that She never set foot on hard ground. She always sat on a bed, a soft seat, an ornate swing or my lap…”

·        I don’t understand, (this is perhaps due to my lack of knowledge) if Rama knew about the promise Dasratha had made to Keikeyi’s father about making their yet unborn child the next king of Ayodhya, then why didn't he just give up the throne. Why did he accept Dasratha’s decision and cause all this emotional turmoil for practically everybody in the kingdom? Was this to fulfill a bigger role he was meant for? To be instrumental in doing something that had already been written, and in which he had no say? Also, it shows Dasratha as an oath-breaker, and Keikeyi the warrior woman wrongly accused of being the villainess. 

I give it 4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment